The municipality of Ixelles is organising an open call to select visual artists who will get the chance to work in one of the municipal artist workshops for a long period, more precisely for 1 year, renewable maximum once.
Two artist studios of the municipal KULT XL Ateliers network will be attributed to visual artists as a result of this open call:
- 1 artist workshop in the rue du Trône 95, 1050 Ixelles, starting on 01/09/2022
- 1 artist workshop in the rue de l’Automne 44, 1050 Ixelles, starting on 01/03/2023
Deadline for applications: Monday May 2nd 2022 at 12:00
This call for applications is closed. The next call will be organized early 2023 and will concern the 7 artist studios located at the rue Wiertz 21a.
Who can apply?
This call is open to visual artists who:
- live in the Brussels Capital Region, regardless of their nationality;
- are of age (18 years old) at the moment of the call;
- are not enrolled in a higher education institution, university or fine arts academy that grants official and professional bachelor, master and doctorate’s degrees;
- have a professional artistic practice : this means that the artistic practice is the main professional activity of the candidate;
- are not represented by a gallery.
Each candidate may submit only one application.
Collective applications are accepted, on the condition that each member of the collective meets the eligibility criteria. Members of a collective are not allowed to also submit an individual application for the same call.
Artists who have already benefited from a municipal artist studio in the past are not allowed to submit an application again.
What do the selected artists receive?
The selected artists will receive a non-monetary grant in the form of the occupation of a municipal artist workshop for the period of one year, renewable maximum once, as well as the use of the exhibition hall located in the rue Wiertz 23 in 1050 Ixelles if they wish to organize an exhibition and/or event during their residency at KULT XL Ateliers, providing that the exhibition space is available and in coordination with the Culture department of the municipality.
The non-monetary grant represents more specifically:
- the use of a municipal artist studio for the period of one year, renewable maximum once, estimated at a value between 3.925,00 EUR and 12.600,00 EUR;
- communication support: presentation of the artists in residence on the culture website and social media platforms of the municipality, publicity about the exhibitions and events that the artist organizes and/or is a part of;
- networking opportunities with members of the cultural field;
- if applicable, technical assistance for setting up and dismantling their exhibition or activity held in the exhibition hall located in the rue Wiertz 23 in 1050 Ixelles, for a maximum of 4 days (2 days for montage and 2 days for demontage);
- if applicable, the organisation of a festive opening.
Which obligations do the selected artists have?
From the moment one accepts the non-monetary grant, they commit themselves to:
- open their atelier to the public at least one a year, at a date discussed and agreed upon with the Culture department of the municipality;
- subscribe to insurances for fire and water damage and civil liability, in order to protect their personal belongings, work materials and artworks that will be stored in their municipal ateliers;
- pay a security deposit as described in their contract;
- pay for their utility bills (water, gas, electricity, heating) as described in their contract.
Compliance with these conditions is essential in order to make full use of the allocated municipal spaces.
How to apply?
The complete application file must be submitted via the online form providing the following documents :
– the completed and signed application form (in French or in Dutch);
– a short portfolio including about ten photographic reproductions of works and/or exhibition views from the candidate;
– if applicable, a document including max. 5 links redirecting to video works and/or performances of the candidate;
– a curriculum vitae of the candidate;
– if applicable, a curriculum vitae of every member of the artist collective that is submitting a joint application.
If any of the required documents are missing, the application will be considered incomplete and will be immediately eliminated.
The complete application file must be submitted by Monday May 2, 2022 before 12:00AM at the latest.
You will find more information on the call for projects and on how to submit an application in the Selection regulation (only available in French or Dutch).
The application may only be submitted in French or Dutch, not in English.
What are the evaluation criteria?
- Thematic approach ;
- Relevant links with the main axes described in the cultural policy plan ‘Co’ 2020-2025 and the general policy note of the Municipality of Ixelles;
- Methodological quality ;
- Artistic quality.
Two online information sessions are organised on Thursday April 21, 2022 at 12:30 and on Monday April 25, 2022 at 17:00. To register and receive the link to the meeting, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any questions ? Check out our FAQ.
Contact for more information: Mr Mathieu Menten email@example.com – 02 515 64 09
Documents (only available in French or Dutch)
Application form : In French – In Dutch
Selection regulation : In French – In Dutch
Subsidy regulation – Municipality of Ixelles : In French – In Dutch
Cultural policy plan 2020-2025 – Municipality of Ixelles : In French – In Dutch
General policy statement 2018 – 2024 : In French – In Dutch
Technical file – artist studio Rue du Trône 95, 1050 Ixelles
Technical file – artist studio Rue de l’Automne 44, 1050 Ixelles